GARSDALE - 22nd September 1999
Garsdale signal box is a Midland Railway type 4c built in 1910 replacing two original 'boxes "Hawes Junction North" and "Hawes Junction South". It was originally called Hawes Junction until 1932, the line to Hawes closed in 1959. It was "switched out" for long periods from 1983 when British Rail deliberately ran down the line (no pun intended) but is now in use 24 hours a day and a very important location.
|Photograph copyright © Kevin Law 2003 - all rights reserved|